Welcome to Atherton
Exclusive, peaceful and secluded, this area is full of breathtaking rural neighborhoods.
Idyllic Atherton, the crown jewel of real estate in the San Francisco Bay Area, is considered one of the most exclusive and desirable places to live in the United States. Initially founded as a posh summer getaway spot for the elite in the 1800s, the town has since transformed into a residential pocket of grandiose estates and gorgeous luxury homes.
Prized for its walkability and seclusion — Atheron is centrally located within San Mateo County — residents enjoy close proximity to a variety of entertainment, shopping, and dining options in neighboring Palo Alto, Redwood City, and Menlo Park. The town is equidistant to San Francisco and San Jose, and while in-town public transportation is limited to select bus services, residents can easily access train options in neighboring cities.
Divided into five idyllic neighborhoods connected by wide country lanes, natural forestry, and awe-inspiring coastal views, many of Atherton’s luxury homes are gated with privacy hedges, which enhance the area’s naturally peaceful atmosphere.
What You’ll Find Here
- Private, peaceful, safe and secure neighborhoods
- Purely residential with little to no commercial intrusion
- Intentionally preserved scenic roads, residential areas and open spaces
- Centrally located to neighboring cities with access to urban amenities
High-profile residents range from Silicon Valley pioneers to football legends such as Jerry Rice.
A majority of residents are families with children, and the lifestyle is one of family-oriented interconnectivity.
Affluent tech types seeking a quiet, suburban existence.
An upscale assemblage of homes, plus grandiose estates and luxe mansions.
You’ll Fall in Love With
The views, the architecture, and the exclusivity. Arts festivals and celebrations of eclectic live music are hosted here annually, making this a vibrant community.
Atherton is zoned within the Sequoia Union and Menlo Park City School Districts. Highlights include:
- Encinal Elementary School, Public, K-5
- Las Lomitas Elementary School, Public, K-3
- Laurel Elementary, Public, K-5
- Sacred Heart School, Private, PK-12
- Menlo-Atherton High School, Public, 9-12
- Menlo College, Private, Bachelor’s